Nelson Yacht Club, in partnership with Nelson Watersports Limited runs regular Learn to Sail courses through the summer for both adults and children. If you have ever seen us all out on the water and thought about giving it a go, then give us a call and speak to Tim, our Sailing Manager. He organises regular Tasters, Learn to Sail courses, progressive training, and social sailing sessions. The team will introduce you to the sport in a fun and supportive learning environment. The courses are based on guidelines set out by Yachting New Zealand.
2016-17 Course dates for adult courses are out! Adult Course Schedule 2016-17
We need a minimum of 4 to make a course viable, and a maximum of 6 so please contact us to check availability.
All participants must be able to swim 50 metres in a buoyancy aid.
How to book!?
Please call us on 02102503767, or drop us an email to email@example.com to confirm there is space on the course, then complete the NYC Booking Form-2016-17 and return to NYC with the total cost. Your space will be confirmed once your booking form and payment have been received.
What to bring?:
- Sun block
- Sun hat
- Clothing that dries quickly and provides sun protection. Cotton T-shirts or shorts are not recommended
- Wetsuit. Full-length suits are essential for spring courses, and highly recommended at any time of year. If you don’t have one there are a few old ones available to borrow, and Nelson Watersports Ltd has a small stock of GUL Response suits.
- Waterproof / windproof jacket. This keeps the wind chill off, and is extremely important for watersports.
- 2 towels
- Footwear for wearing in the water - wetsuit booties are ideal
- Thermals – lots of layers of poly-pro or merino
- Lunch (if appropriate) and snacks
- Drink bottle
Nelson Watersports Ltd stocks a small selection of sailing gear such as wetsuits, booties, spray-tops, gloves, buoyancy aids etc… from GUL and Rooster through a relationship with NZ Sailing Ltd. Get in touch with Tim on 02102503767 if you have any questions.
While safety is paramount at Nelson Yacht Club all participants attend at their own risk. All participants are supplied with buoyancy aids that are worn while on the water and in and around the water.
Everyone must follow the instructions given by the coach or instructors. A patrol boat will be on the water at all times when sailing is in progress.
Cancellation: If a participant is unable to attend, a refund will be given only if notice of cancellation is given at least 7 days prior to the commencement of the course.
If you are interested in learning to sail a bigger keeler rather than a dinghy please check out www.sailnelson.co.nz. Chris Roff and his team run RYA accredited training out of Nelson, as well as organising skippered charter to the Abel Tasman National Park.