The Junior Watersports Programme at Nelson Yacht Club has been going from strength to strength over the past few seasons and we are looking forward to another exciting summer ahead!
Learn to Sail!
The younger kids (from 8 to ~11) learn in Optimists, and the older kids (~12 – 15) learn in the bigger Topaz Unos. We also run groups for different ability levels – Improvers, Intermediates and Advanced sailors.
For more details and guidance on which group your child should join, see below or contact the team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0220313246
Most of our holiday courses are the full 5 days (Monday-Friday), but occasionally we run 2, 3 or 4 day courses as necessary with Public Holidays.
We generally try to fit in an adventure of some sort, such as picnic lunches on Haulashore Island, climbing the Lighthouse, scavenger hunts on the Boulder Bank or sailing to Tahuna beach. The end of the week shared lunch is always a mean feed!
Please get in touch to book your son/daughter in. A completed booking form and payment will secure a booking. NB. If you have already completed a booking form this season, then you don’t need to complete another! Just email Jill at email@example.com to notify her of your payment.
You can now complete a booking form online: http://www.nelsonyachtclub.org.nz/learn-to-sail/booking-form/
Any questions call us on 0220313246 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Holiday Programme Course Details:
- 9am – 4pm each day.
- A full week course costs $340 ($290 for NYC members)
- A four day course costs $275 ($235 for NYC members)
- A two day course costs $140 ($120 for NYC members)
- Drop in Days – $80/day ($68/day for NYC members)
October School Holidays:
- Week 1 (5 days) – Mon 30th Sept – Fri 4th October
- Week 2 (5 days) – Mon 7th – Fri 11th October
- We will have groups for both Optis and Topaz, and will accommodate all levels
Summer School Holidays:
- Week 1 (2 days) – Thurs 12th & Fri 13th December 2019
- Week 2 (5 days) – Mon 16th – Fri 20th December 2019
- Week 3 (4 days) – Mon 6th – Thurs 9th January 2020
- Week 4 (5 days) – Mon 13th – Fri 17th January 2020
- Week 5 (5 days) – Mon 20th – Fri 24th January 2020
- Week 6 (5 days) – Mon 27th – Fri 31st January 2020
- Groups to be confirmed.
Term Time Training:
During the school terms we run programmes of after-school and weekend sailing sessions. These are great for doing some regular sailing and practising your skills!
Term 4 training will start after Labour Weekend, with the first session being the Tuesday groups on Tuesday 29th October. The sessions will run for 7 weeks up to the Christmas break.
Between the start of term and Labour weekend we will have a numbr of ‘warm-up’ or ‘shake-down’ sailing sessions where you can just pitch up and join in, to blow the cobwebs away and get ready for the sailing season. Book on to a Term Time Training group and you’ll get one of these sessions FREE. Fancy doing another? It’ll be $30 per session.
Cost: $150 (NYC membership required) – A beginner doing their first course does not have to become an NYC member immediately, but can pay $190 for the term as a non-member.
Drop in sessions are $30 per session, subject to availability after the start of the courses.
The proposed groups are as follows:
Tuesdays (starting 29th Oct) 15:45 – 17:45
Wednesdays (starting 30th Oct) 15:45 – 17:45
Omega/Tarlair – Spinnakers & Seamanship
Thursdays (starting 31st Oct) 16:00 – 18:30
Fridays (starting 1st Nov) 15:45 – 17:45
Optimist Green Fleet
Topaz Advanced – Single-Handed
Open Bic Coaching?
Windsurfing – tbc.
Saturdays (starting 2nd Nov) 10:00 – 12:00
Sundays (starting 3rd Nov) 11:00 – 13:00
Mondays (starting 4th Nov) 15:45 – 17:45
Topaz Advanced – Double-Handed
Omega/Tarlair – Spinnakers & Seamanship
N.b. These are proposed groups at this stage and we reserve the right to change them at any time, so if you would like to see something else on the schedule, get in touch asap and we’ll do our best to accommodate.
- Beginners: You’ll be introduced to the marine environment safely and learn how to stay safe on, in and around the water. You’ll have heaps of fun learning the essential skills for sailing a small single-handed sailing boat like the Optimist. I wouldn’t rule out capsizing, swimming, loads of games and races, or the occasional pirate attack!
- Improvers: This group is for kids who have done some sailing, but who have not yet completed the YNZ Level 1 Certificate. Often the smaller/younger kids, and the group focuses on fun and building confidence as well as working towards the Level 1.
- Intermediates: Designed for kids who have already done quite a bit of sailing and are looking to extend their skills and maybe try different boats etc… We’ll be working on skills that are part of the YNZ “Sailing….Fast” or Level 2 syllabus. It can take a bit longer to achieve the Level 2 certificate, so you might be in this group for a few sessions before reaching the level and moving on to Green Fleet training.
- Green Fleet: Learning to race! Sailing in either a club Optimist or your own boat, these groups of sailors can handle themselves around a course and in moderate conditions, and are now looking at how to start and compete in races.
- Fleet Training: Sailors with their own boats, training and honing their racing skills.
Nelson Watersports will again be offering windsurfing courses run in conjunction with Nelson Yacht Club’s Junior Watersports Programme. This exciting sport is equally good for kids who have sailed before and are looking for the next challenge, or kids who’ve never set foot in a boat! Most weeks there will be a dedicated group for windsurfers. Please call us to find out which weeks will be running. We recommend a minimum age of 10 for kids windsurfing – a size/strength thing…
Nelson watersports runs regular windsurfing supervised hire sessions as part of the Term Time Training programme. A great way to practise and meet other windsurfers. We have groups on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Fridays.
- On Nelson Watersports gear: $30 per session or $180 for the 7 week term
- On your own gear: $20 per session or $120 for the 7 week term
- Half and Half (Eg. your board & our rigs): $25 per session or $150 for the 7 weeks
- You need to complete a Nelson Watersports Booking Form instead of a NYC one.
- Sun block
- Sun hat
- Clothing that dries quickly and provides sun protection. Cotton T-shirts or shorts are not recommended
- Wetsuit. Full-length suits are essential for spring courses, and highly recommended at any time of year. If you don’t have one there are a few old ones available to borrow, and Nelson Watersports Ltd has a small stock of GUL Response suits.
- Waterproof / windproof jacket. This keeps the wind chill off, and is extremely important for watersports.
- 2 towels
- Footwear for wearing in the water – wetsuit booties are ideal
- Thermals – lots of layers of poly-pro or merino
- Lunch (if appropriate) and snacks
- Drink bottle
Nelson Watersports Ltd stocks a small selection of sailing gear such as wetsuits, booties, spray-tops, gloves, buoyancy aids etc… from GUL and Rooster through a relationship with NZ Sailing Ltd. Get in touch with Tim on 02102503767 if you have any questions.
While safety is paramount at Nelson Yacht Club all participants attend at their own risk. Participants are supplied with buoyancy aids (if they do not have their own) that are worn while on the water and in and around the water.
Everyone must follow the instructions given by the coach or instructors. A patrol boat will be on the water at all times when sailing is in progress.
Cancellation: If a participant is unable to attend, a refund will be given only if notice of cancellation is given at least 30 days prior to the commencement of the course. Course bookings are valid for 1 year from the booking date.