Photos & Videos thanks to @George Guille Media:
Day 1 Video – https://vimeo.com/509150237
Day 2 Video – https://vimeo.com/509391330
Day 3 Video – https://vimeo.com/510075123
At Nelson Yacht Club we are super-excited to be hosting the 2021 NZ Kite Foiling National Championship over Waitangi weekend in February 2021.
Nelson is a renowned kitesurfing destination, and the summer sea-breezes and open waters of Tasman Bay will make for some great racing. The foiling kites will make for a great spectacle and we are working on some ideas to maximise this for the local community, including some exhibition racing close to shore on the Friday afternoon.
Here’s a link to some footage from the international Hydrofoil Pro Tour in Mexico:
Friday afternoon casual racing
The Friday afternoon casual racing will be open to non-foil kites, regular twin-tip kiters, windfoilers, windsurfers, and wingsurfers and is intended to be a great spectacle, with a BBQ and social afterwards at the Nelson Yacht Club. For anyone not entered in the Nationals there will be a $30 entry fee. Please also enter using the responsive form below.
For all regatta enquiries please email email@example.com
Notice of Race:
Entry Form: Scroll down – bottom of the page 🙂
Nelson Yacht Club plans to be able to run the regatta under Alert Level 2.
Decision making on the event in relation to Covid-19 Alert Levels will be made according to the local Nelson status as follows:
- Level 4 – Event will be cancelled
- Level 3 – Event will be cancelled
- Level 2 – Event will go ahead with precautions.
- Level 1 – Event will go ahead with precautions.
If any region other than Nelson is subject to Covid-19 Alert Level 3 or higher, competitors from that region will not be able to travel to the event. The number of competitors unable to travel, and the overall viability of the event will be factored into the decision whether to cancel the event or not.
A key decision point will be at the close of normal entries on the 12th January 2021.
Entrants will be kept informed of any decision made by the Organising Authority in conjunction with the New Zealand Kite Racing Association (NZKRA), and cancellation at this point will result in the full refund of all entry fees.
If the regatta is forced to be cancelled after the 22nd January 2021 a full refund may not be possible.
If Nelson is at Alert Level 1, but any region that a competitor is entered from is at a higher Alert Level, all competitors and families from that region will be required to consider themselves still under that Alert Level, and precautions will be taken to ensure the segregation and physical distancing of those competitors and families.
Competitors & families who are a confirmed or probable case of Covid-19, or who have come into contact with a known case of Covid-19 are required not to travel to the event, and NYC will offer a full refund.
Venue & Launching area map:
Accommodation bookings with the iSite:
We appreciate that accommodation can be hard to find/expensive in Nelson in January. Our friends at the Nelson iSite can help find appropriate accommodation for you. Be sure to mention that you are coming to Nelson for the regatta!
Phone: 03 548 2304 (accommodation enquires only)